If you have tried out the Autodesk Inventor 2022, and found the feature Model States a favorite, you can thank a fellow Autodesk Inventor user Curtis W. and 767 people that voted, and 90 who commented on it. The request was in the Inventor Product Ideas board where people share and vote on ideas for future product releases..
Level of Detail for Parts
The ability to suppress features and create Level Of Detail representations in part files would be very useful.
I have a bent tube that goes into an assembly in the formed state. However, I would like to detail this part to show both the pre-formed and formed states of the part on my drawing. Currently I can not do this without creating additional files (derived parts or iParts). Ideally I would be able to suppress the Bend Part feature as a LOD to place the pre-formed part view.
I have a part file with a lot of detailed edges and surfaces and I use this part over and over in my assemblies, I would like to be able to suppress features as a LOD an use the simplified version in the assembly, but still have the detailed version for my part drawing. Again we'd like to be able to do this, without having additional files to track.”
After all that feedback and voting the Inventor team worked on it for over 2 years & validate every step of the design & implementation through the Inventor Feedback project as a beta pre-releases in the Feedback Community.
Here's a screen shot of the Model States Beta forum (without revealing anything).
Model States then made its appearance in the final release of Autodesk Inventor 2022!
Inventor Blog announcement by Paul Munford:
Autodesk Inventor What’s New 2022: Model states
Autodesk Inventor 2022 What's New Video on YouTube:
The Model States initiative also covered all of these related ideas too:
- Make a multi part configurator for parts and assemblies like Solidworks
- Add Configurations
- Level of Detail environment to include a table to control component suppression
- Level of Detail Representations: throw this in the trash and start over
- Eliminate LODs
- LOD stop the conflict
- View vs Level of Detail and BOM and Mass
- Calculate Mass Properties of View Reps
- BOM for invisible part
- Suppressed Elements of a Pattern | Assembly | Neither LOD nor View operation
- Make master level of detail optional
- Please give option to pick user defined LOD participation for Parts / Assys
- Assembly: "Suppress in all Levels of Detail"
- Suppress across all Level of Detail
- Simulation-only fillets for re-entrant edges (to prevent stress singularities)
- Tolerance for Extrude
Thank you Curtis W. for requesting this functionality and posting this to the Inventor Product Ideas board, and the Inventor Team for listening to our customers. Sometimes it can take a while for a feature request to become reality with research, technical effort, design, validation, and the resources and planning for the roadmap, but this was well worth the wait.
Do you want a great way to meet the product team, and help shape the future of Autodesk products? One of the best ways is to get involved in the Autodesk Beta in the Feedback Community.
Check it out and connect with the Inventor development team directly if you aren't already a member and want access to the Inventor Beta Program.
Autodesk Inventor Beta Access